[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Reputation systems are not just nice to have (was Re: What we want redux)

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Fri Sep 29 19:30:02 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 11:57:15AM -0700, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> I disagree, I think that a case can be made that reputation systems are
> important, but they're not essential to the operation of the DNS.

Of course, the RDS _itself_ is not essential to the operation of the
DNS.  We have already decided that the RDS is distinct from the SRS.
You need some kind of registration system to get data into the DNS.
You do not actually need an out-of-band troubleshooting mechanism.

But it makes distributed operation with distributed authority _way,
way_ easier if we have such a mechanism, which is part of what makes
it legitimate.  Reputation systems are an important part of the actual
functioning of the Internet and the use of the DNS, and they rely in
part on information about domain names.

>   You
> might as easily say that because advertising revenue is also used "in
> support of domain name operation", we need to make sure that the DNS
> supports that.

The difference that makes the difference, of course, is that
information about domain names is directly relevant to the reputation
decision-making process, and is not relevant to advertising revenue.

Note that revenue considerations in general are not completely
irrelevant for us: if we decided on something that was hugely
expensive for some operators, we'd fail.

ajs at anvilwalrusden.com