[Gnso-rpm-trademark] [Discussion Thread] TM Claims Q5

Tushnet, Rebecca rtushnet at law.harvard.edu
Fri May 24 23:05:25 UTC 2019

In response to Kristine's suggestion about suggesting a perpetual claims period--and keeping in mind Kristine's preference for not putting in our disputes, to which I'm highly sympathetic--I would oppose this language.

We never arrived at approval or agreement of the full subteam about any individual proposal regarding perpetual claims, and there is definitely no consensus that it is a good idea.  The existing policy, very much including its time limits, was negotiated extensively in the name of balance.  We have no data to show us that permanent claims are in any way needed by trademark owners (including, for example, data about a change in cybersquatting behavior after Claims ends), but lots of data to show us problems with the existing TM Claims and the problems of the current 90 day period turning many potential registrants back.

I am concerned that, if we recommend this option specifically, we are implicitly suggesting that it is an offering we {subteam/WG) support when we don't.  Given the existing concerns with claims, blessing perpetual claims--even as an apparently ICANN approved "option" rather than as a mandate--is not a good idea.

I would strike the middle sentence in Kristine's formulation.

Rebecca Tushnet
Frank Stanton Professor of First Amendment Law, Harvard Law School
703 593 6759