[gnso-rpm-wg] Suggestion for Leadership Team

George Kirikos icann at leap.com
Tue Apr 12 16:00:18 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM, Greg Shatan via gnso-rpm-wg <
gnso-rpm-wg at icann.org> wrote:

>  On an informal or "de facto" level, J Scott tends to represent (or at
> least stand for) the interests of businesses for whom IP is a significant
> asset, while Phil represents (and actually does represent) the interests of
> domain investors (a very specific sector of the business community for whom
> IP is, at best, not a significant asset). As such, Phil's perspectives are
> far more aligned with those represented by Kathy, and that is the imbalance
> to which I refer.

Domain names have been recognized, in law, as a new form of intellectual
property since the 1990's, e.g. see:

Umbro International, Inc., Judgment Creditor v. 3263851 Canada, Inc
Judgment Debtor, and Network Solutions, Inc, Garnishee, At Law No. 174388.

https://web.archive.org/web/19991009052951/http://www.alston.com/docs/Articles/199709/umbrodns.htm

"Until Umbro's effort, domain names apparently have not been subjected to
garnishment, but that is no reason to conclude that this ****new form of
intellectual property**** is therefore immune." (emphasis added)

I think instead of "IP" you meant "trademarks", a different form of
intellectual property (which sometimes might overlap with, interact with,
and/or conflict with domain names).

Certainly for my own company's domain names, and for many other owners of
domain names, it would not be correct to say that these are "not a
significant asset." Many domain names are worth thousands, hundreds of
thousands, or even millions of dollars, and are significant assets to their
owners.

I think participants in the working group should be more cautious before
trying to marginalize or delegitimize others who are volunteering their
valuable time and expertise to improve ICANN policymaking.