[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW & DISCUSSION: Draft collated proposal for Sunrise-related data collection

claudio di gangi ipcdigangi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 13:56:26 UTC 2017

I think Kurt raises many good points.

Just in terms of background on the GAC issue, in my view the context and
political environment in which the IRT (and later the STI) recommendations
were created can not be discounted. Often context is dispositive to
outcome.

In the other words, the IRT recommended the minimum set of protections, in
order for those recommendations to be adopted into the Guidebook (which is
why the need for the IRT existed to begin with).

In hindsight, what occurred was those recommendations were changed (or in
some cases, simply discarded), over the IRT's concerns. In fact, the
IRT-based RPMs were made purely optional for registries in the subsequent
version of the Applicant Guidebook that was published. In part, that
contributed to the multi-year delay, and prompted the GAC to step-in. It's
much harder for ICANN to reject GAC advice vs IPC advice (or any another
GNSO group for that matter).

One additional point: the overall number of defensive registrations can not
be divorced from the level of demand for new gTLDs. In fact, there is
probably some direct corollary between the overall level of demand and
defensive registrations (setting aside the issue of market power, and
whether some registries have market power over registrants, in effect
imposing costs/registrations where they wouldn't otherwise exist).

A lack of demand doesn't imply there shouldn't be any new gTLDs in the
marketplace (or libraries for that matter- the image of books turning into
dust in Orwell's Time Machine), but it does suggest these variables need to
be considered together in a holistic manner.

Best,
Claudio