[gnso-rpm-wg] FOR REVIEW & DISCUSSION: Draft collated proposal for Sunrise-related data collection

Jeremy Malcolm jmalcolm at eff.org
Wed Aug 9 15:07:09 UTC 2017

On 09.08.2017 05:50, Kurt Pritz wrote:
> Practically speaking, remember that the original policy
> recommendation
> required no mandatory RPMs. That caused such consternation that the
> IRT was convened to create RPMs and then the GAC strengthened them. I
> think is is naive to think that this group could conclude that we
> abandon Sunrise and that would be the end of the story. Such a
> recommendation would lead to a several-month (or longer) process that
> would, in the end, reinstate Sunrise. If I were convinced we had
> solid
> arguments, I might be tempted to take on that challenge. For the
> reasons stated above, I don’t think yours is a winning or winnable
> argument.

We should not be railroaded into supporting a failing policy for fear
that our evidence-based determination will be overridden at a higher
level for political reasons.  EFF supports (and, indeed, formally
proposed some months ago) that Sunrise be abolished.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Global Policy Analyst
jmalcolm at eff.org

Tel: 415.436.9333 ext 161

Public key: https://www.eff.org/files/2016/11/27/key_jmalcolm.txt
PGP fingerprint: 75D2 4C0D 35EA EA2F 8CA8 8F79 4911 EC4A EDDF 1122