[gnso-rpm-wg] Information on GNSO consensus designation and practices (99%+ reduction in sunrise utilization rate per TLD supports EFF call for elimination of sunrise)

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Thu Aug 17 18:28:33 UTC 2017

Dear Jonathan and everyone,

If I may, here is some information on the GNSO rules and procedures that may be of assistance.

  1.  Definition of consensus:

  *   This is specified in the GNSO Working Group Guidelines which apply to all PDP and non-PDP Working Groups (see Section 3.6 on pages 8-9: https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-01sep16-en.pdf).

  *   Essentially, Full Consensus means unanimity, and Consensus means most members except for a small minority agree. There are also several other designations possible, including No Consensus (or Divergence) and the possibility of Minority Views (for which minority statements can be filed and included as part of the Final Report of the group).

  *   Note that it is the co-chairs’ responsibility to designate the various levels of consensus. Typically this is done through a formal consensus call lasting two or more weeks after the co-chairs determine that sufficient deliberation on all proposals has occurred. The consensus call involves all Working Group members and is always announced (and reminded) via the mailing list.

  1.  Whether consensus is required for PDP recommendations:

  *   Typically, a PDP Final Report will include all recommendations and the various levels of consensus that were reached for each recommendation. It is also common to include any proposals that remained on the table at the end but that did not achieve any of the consensus levels specified (e.g. these may be proposals on which there is Divergence).

  *   In practice, the GNSO Council will vote to adopt those final recommendations that have achieved either Full Consensus or Consensus designations only (although they do not have to; however, the GNSO’s PDP Manual specifically outlines how the Council should deal with different recommendations (see Section 12 on Page 8: https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/annex-2-pdp-manual-01sep16-en.pdf):
     *   “In the event that the Final Report includes recommendations that did not achieve the consensus within the PDP Team, the GNSO Council should deliberate on whether to adopt them or remand the recommendations for further analysis and work. Although the GNSO Council may adopt all or any portion of the recommendations contained in the Final Report, it is recommended that the GNSO Council take into account whether the PDP Team has indicated that any recommendations contained in the Final Report are interdependent. The GNSO Council is strongly discouraged from itemizing recommendations that the PDP Team has identified interdependent or modifying recommendations wherever possible. In the event the GNSO Council expresses concerns or proposes changes to the PDP recommendations, it may be more appropriate to pass these concerns or recommendations for changes back to the respective PDP Team for input and follow-up.”

  1.  Is consensus required to recommend that Sunrise be retained, changed or dropped?

  *   As Jeremy and others have noted, Sunrise (and the other 2012 round RPMs) are not specific Consensus Policies but were mechanisms developed during the Applicant Guidebook iterative process to address what had been identified as overarching issues, including trademark protections. Given the GNSO’s procedures and practices, any recommendation on Sunrise – including as a Consensus Policy and in what form (e.g. whether as is or modified), or not used – will need to go through the consensus process as described.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Mary