[gnso-rpm-wg] Mp3, Attendance & AC Chat for Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs PDP WG on 25 January 2017

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Wed Jan 25 14:35:51 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance of the call attached to this email and the MP3 recording below for the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDs PDP Working Group call held on Wednesday, 25 January 2017 at 04:00 UTC. Attendance of the call is posted on agenda wiki page:https://community.icann.org/x/L53DAw
MP3: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-review-25jan17-en.mp3<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-review-25jan17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]>

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-rpm-review-25jan17-en.mp3[mailer.samanage.com]>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DgMFAg&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=_STPpuvWbrg8yQQ2JMc3Sjjz6MxqKujdkmRIaJjBRsk&s=00U1t8R-APnrMH9L5X2fY5guBRLY8t8aDSeS04DpFw8&e=>

Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/L53DAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle DeSmyter

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 25 January 2017:

 Michelle DeSmyter:Dear All, Welcome to the Review of all Rights Protection Mechanisms (RPMs) in all gTLDS PDP Working Group call on Wednesday, 25 January 2017 at 04:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Meeting page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_L53DAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=wMNkizUmvwMUK9ngTrCmMoSkKeQU01zep_PgVz8I2vI&s=uGB46M06d__E1gskG6xIunjmOI2PhSou3aj7Yg9qDhQ&e=
  George Kirikos:Hi everyone.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Hello George!
  George Kirikos:Hi Michelle.
  George Kirikos:brb
  Petter Rindforth:God Morning!
  Mary Wong:Hello Laurie, Petter, George!
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Geeetings all
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:hola
  George Kirikos:Hi Mary and Vaibhav.
  Mary Wong:Hi Vaibhav, Justine, Grace, J Scott and all!
  GraceM:Hi Mary. Hi everyone!
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Greetings Mary
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All
  David McAuley (RySG):Hi Mary
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):7am for me
  Jonathan Agmon:Hello all
  David McAuley (RySG):is sound muffled for anyone else?
  Mary Wong:The follow up questions are also captured on the slides
  Mary Wong:On Q2, note that the follow up question from last week's call was, WHO should the TMCH (if it is the TMCH) be educating besides rights-holders?
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):+1 for education from ICANN (after all .. there are exceed funds from new gTLD program)
  Mary Wong:@Maxim, what to do with the auction proceeds from the 2012 New gTLD Program is the subject of a new Cross Community Working Group so it's not known at this time how those funds will be used.
  Jonathan Agmon:Would imposing educational duties on the TMCH mean an increase of their fees?
  Kathty Kleiman:@Jonathan: Since it would not require any additional "learning effort" on the part of the TMCH (they're already the experts), having additional educational materials available on their website shoulld not be much additional cost.
  Michael Flemming:I am all for the TMCH to educate rights holders, domain name registrants and potential registrants, but haven't they already been doing that? I worked with staff from the TMCH in order to help educate rights holders 3/4 years ago when this all started. We are in agreement that there is incentive opportunity, but there is a large cost associated with educating people. It has to be done in the right and correct way. Unless you communicate the need for the TMCH to rights holders, then none of them will buy into it. The initial impression of the TMCH that rights holders have is that new gTLDs and TMCH is too troublesome and it is easier to just not be associated with. I think we need to look at this as a community perspective, as well.
  Mary Wong:We save the chats, but encourage everyone to speak up so your remarks are captured in the recording and meeting transcript.
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Jonathan Excellent Q. It will become an entry barrier for main nTLDs
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:especially for Not-for-profitorgs
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@JSoctt Coomunity effortss
  Mary Wong:@Vaibhav, what do you mean by community efforts?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:I don't oppose having the TMCH post official training materials on their site, once ICANN creates it.  But the TMCH just has no way to tell the customers of any particular registry or registrar what their experience will be.
  Petter Rindforth:ICANN: Education, TMCH: Basic information
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I think community does not have capacity or funds for education
  Mary Wong:Yes
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Mary - Wile TMCH takes the lead, but the Registries shuld have equal participation
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Perfect Heather
  Mary Wong:@Vaibhav, how do you mandate that? Or do you leave it to registries (and maybe registrars) to decide to do it?
  George Kirikos:ICANN/TMCH together can provide materials that the registrars convey to customers, in a hybrid. But, ultimately it's the registrars who deal with registrants.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Registrars have contact with the Registrants who use TMCH, and Registries do not
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Yes, the TMCH should educate on how to use their system.  But the registrants do not use the TMCH, they experience "side effects."
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Maxim  @Mary If Registries chage a premium on Domain names then they ming keep a couple of $s for education & awareness on the side
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:why all profit is to be Paid by the consumer ?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:+1Maxim and registries develop sunrise policies.
  Mary Wong:@Maxim that is true for Claims, though not necessarily for Sunrise or Notice of Registered Name (NORN) after a registration matching a TMCH mark has taken place, right?
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:& Registries act s agents of the educatinn for Registrants on behalf of Registries
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Vaibhav , TCMH is a product of new gTLD progam, and exceed funds are .. IMHO just unused for education (new gTLD awareness also)
  Mary Wong:@J Scott, ok
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Yes
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Mary ,  please do not mix technical interaction of computers and human interaction with customers (education of omputer API level does not work)
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):*computer API
  Kathty Kleiman:@Mary: I think Kristine's suggestion above is worth saving in our Notes. It's part of the Hybrid solution...
  Kathty Kleiman:... suggested by Heather and others.
  Mary Wong:@Kathy, sorry I missed it - can someone rephrase the Hybrid solution?
  Kathty Kleiman:TMCH + ICANN
  Mary Wong:We are expecting feedback from the TMCH Providers
  Mary Wong:Nothing yet received from any registrar
  George Kirikos:Here was Greg Shatan's comment: http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-rpm-wg/2017-January/000932.html
  Mary Wong:We will recirculate the folllow up questions to Q1 & 2 to the list, plus notes from today
  Kathty Kleiman:@Mary: as a note to the "hybrid," perhaps we could add Kristine's comment -- I don't oppose having the TMCH post official training materials on their site, once ICANN creates it.  But the TMCH just has no way to tell the customers of any particular registry or registrar what their experience will be.
  Justine Chew:Q3 (a) --- https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.trademark-2Dclearinghouse.com_-3F&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=wMNkizUmvwMUK9ngTrCmMoSkKeQU01zep_PgVz8I2vI&s=UsJeQz0r8Nhp7F0CjynH0BQ2_ki0wmh9T_p9tYx5w_I&e=
  Michael Flemming:Who are private parties?
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:We should seek anecdotal data for at least #2 as well.
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):IBM is technical part and they might educate about technical side only (and most probably we talk about legal part of interation)
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so it looks like we need to ask Deloitte..
  Mary Wong:Note that one of the questions that the TMCH Data Gathering Sub Team sent to the TMCH Providers concerned the number of private contracts they had for using the TMCH
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Jscott You are away from the Mic please close up
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Npe
  Michael Flemming:Yes
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:lost volume
  George Kirikos:Low volume, but I can hear you.
  Kathty Kleiman:I think that's right
  Heather Forrest:I heard you, J Scott
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:yup
  David McAuley (RySG):better
  Michael Flemming:Loud and clear
  George Kirikos:(via the phone bridge)
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I hear
  Mary Wong:The specific question asked of Deloitte and IBM was: "Can you tell us who is using the TMDB and under what circumstances (other than for providing the Sunrise and Claims Notice services required by ICANN)? How many "blocking"-type services are you supporting (e.g. protected marks lists), and with/for whom? Are you aware of other services that may be provided by registry operators using the TMDB other than via contract with you?"
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):just took look at the Russian page of https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.trademark-2Dclearinghouse.com_ru&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=wMNkizUmvwMUK9ngTrCmMoSkKeQU01zep_PgVz8I2vI&s=SZlF9bymSVo-zmd1uxHfq_aZHhoSZJm2RwhwcBw4Qho&e=  - they should have used translators and not automated translation ...I hope the education is properly delivered not only in English
  Michael Flemming:Yes!
  Michael Flemming:Thank you.
  Mary Wong:We are expecting the TMCH Providers to provide us with their responses - I will follow up with my GDD colleagues to send a reminder
  Michael Flemming:I think the simple answer to this question is that information is available, but the quality of information is not very good. The best and fastest answer possible is to send it to the TMCH Providers.
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Jscott : Y dont v get them here in the group and share their perspecctive
  Mary Wong:@Vaibhav, I believe that this is something the co-chairs are open to, depending on the actual responses we get.
  Michael Flemming:Because they're asleep :)
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@MicF ha ha ha good one
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Lets wake them from the Yellow pages ;-)
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Marry Yes My Suggestion
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG::-)
  Kathty Kleiman:I like that idea!
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):we need to be sure that we have feedback from them
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Infact they could be a part of some Calls in order to Speed up the discussion on this
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Its like Interview 1 by 1 in order to set the perspective on the Qs right
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:@Maxim Correct
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:right
  Michael Flemming:Oh, I am pretty sure they will be there.
  Mary Wong::)
  Kathty Kleiman:It has been a long day!!
  Mary Wong:@J Scott, yes, staff will do that
  George Kirikos:Bye folks.
  George Kirikos::-)
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:LOL
  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye all
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:ha ha ha
  Kathty Kleiman:Good morning; good night!
  Mary Wong:Thanks everyone
  David McAuley (RySG):Good bye all
  Lillian Fosteris:Good night/good day!
  Heather Forrest:Thanks J Scott and Mary!
  Kristine Dorrain - Amazon Registry Services:Thanks everyone, thanks J Scott!
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:Thanks Guys have a good One
  GraceM:thank you all
  Vaibhav Aggarwal, NCSG:GNight