[gnso-rpm-wg] URS / UDRP proposals -- data on registrar/registry compliance costs

Jonathan Frost jonathan at get.club
Wed Sep 5 18:39:07 UTC 2018

I agree that it's not an issue that will arise with frequency, however
these types of issues do arise, they do create costs for the
Registries/Registrars.  In fact, like George pointed out, it arises when a
TM Holder prevails in URS, then decides that it actually wants possession
of the domain, and subsequently files a UDRP.

My main point was that, in addition to the day to day time commitments,
there are unpredictable legal costs associated with the administration of
URS/UDRP (in part because rule sets laws or contracts cannot cover all
scenarios without being inefficiently burdensome).

That's why it makes sense for there to be a cost-recovery mechanism, so
that the Registries/Registrars can be compensated costs related to
administration overhead in the same way that NAF/WIPO are compensated.

Jonathan