[GNSO-RPM-WG] ICE domain name seizures -- potential source of data for RPM PDP?

Corwin, Philip pcorwin at verisign.com
Fri Jan 4 17:43:14 UTC 2019

Thanks for your feedback, Susan.

A few additional personal comments-

*       It appears from the ICE press release that a number of other national law enforcement agencies may have been involved in the seizures.
*       While the seizure may have been "free" to the trademark owner if the domain was one that met the criteria for bringing a UDRP or URS, there is considerable expenditure of public funds in these efforts.
*       These law enforcement agency domain actions are directed at criminal activity, whereas the great majority of UDRP and URS actions focus on domains that could be the subject of civil trademark litigation. I would not favor eliminating the availability of self-help to trademark registrants via non-judicial RPMs, but one unintended result of doing so might be to encourage some trademark owners to seek law enforcement actions against domains that previously would have merited the filing of a UDRP or URS.

Best to all,

Philip

Philip S. Corwin

Policy Counsel