[Gnso-ssc] [Ext] Re: SSC Draft Standard Process for Nominations

Emily Barabas emily.barabas at icann.org
Mon Aug 7 09:08:56 UTC 2017

Hi Renata,

Thanks very much for your input. In response to the items raised below –

On travel support -- if the SSC is responsible for drafting a call for volunteers for an appointment, information will indeed be available about whether there will be travel support. Just a note, however, that this is not a GNSO decision.

On organization of the timeline -- the standard timeline is currently set up in calendar days because if there is a deadline associated with a particular appointment, this makes it easier to count backwards from the deadline to set target dates for each task. I definitely agree it will be important to make sure there are a sufficient number of business days available to complete each of the tasks. Since each assignment will have its own timeline, adjusted for factors including complexity of the assignment, number of candidates, and external deadlines, perhaps it makes sense to leave the sample timeline in calendar days, but note that it will be important to ensure that the SSC has a sufficient number of working days to complete each task in the assignment?

On the timeline item “SSC organizes candidate materials and determines information needed from SG/Cs” – It looks like this language should actually be adjusted. I took a look back at the Charter, which reads:

“Following receipt of the list of candidates, the SSC is expected to reach out to each SG/C to confirm affiliation as stated by candidates. Each SG/C should be provided with sufficient opportunity to provide this confirmation as well as any other information the SG/C deems useful for the SSC to consider as part of its evaluation.”

So, actually, this step should simply say “SSC organizes candidate materials,” as it will be up to the SG/C what input, if any, they provide beyond confirming affiliation, and not for the SSC to decide. Thanks for raising that. Some suggested edits are attached.

Regarding the amount of time for that task -- It will primarily be staff that organizes the materials to prepare for the SSC review and evaluation. Once staff has posted the application materials on the wiki, SSC members can begin their review of the applications, which can continue until the “Deadline for individual SSC members to evaluate candidates using survey tool.” Note that the timeline can be adjusted in each process depending on the factors noted above, and that the SSC will discuss and agree on a timeline for each assignment at the beginning of the assignment.

I hope this helps. I’ve made some suggested adjustments on the attached, and there will also be an opportunity to discuss further on an upcoming call.

Kind regards,
Emily