[Gnso-subteam0b-policyimpl] Attendance and Recording Policy and Implementation Working Principles Sub- Team meeting - 12 December 2013

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Mon Dec 16 16:18:56 UTC 2013

Dear All,

Please find the MP3 recording for the Policy and Implementation Working Principles Sub-Team call held on Thursday 12 December 2013 at 19:00 UTC:

https://icann.box.com/shared/static/2tpcsccdqtjk9kqlas5b.mp3

Attendees:
Michael Graham – IPC
Cheryl Langdon-Orr – ALAC
Alan Greenberg – At-Large
Greg Shatan – IPC
Chuck Gomes- RySG
Nic Steinbach- RrSG
Avri Doria - NCSG

Apology: none

ICANN staff:
Mary Wong
Marika Konings
Nathalie Peregrine

Wiki page:https://community.icann.org/x/y1V-Ag

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Nathalie Peregrine
For GNSO Secretariat

Adobe Chat Transcript for Thursday 12 December 2013:

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Dear all, wwelcome to the Policy and IMplementation Working Principles Sub team Meeting on Thursday 12 December 2013

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Please be aware that there will be NO audio enabled in the AC room today, please all dial into the audio bridge passcode PI

  Mary Wong:There's a bit of a wait for the operator.

  Nathalie  Peregrine:yes i waited too today

  Alan Greenberg:Yup, here too

  Alan Greenberg:3+ minutes

  Marika Konings:Same here...

  Alan Greenberg:On now

  Greg Shatan:I'm on as well.

  Greg Shatan:With apologies, I will need to get off around the half-hour.

  Michael R. Graham:I will as well, sorry.

  Nic Steinbach:trying to connect via audio now

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:no dial to me either

  Marika Konings:@CLO - we are trying to dial out to you, but we are having some challenges reaching you

  Nathalie  Peregrine:Cheryl, we have tried your hotel nr and they are not picking up

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:chcked line I have dial tone

  Nathalie  Peregrine:can we try your mobile?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:back in Syd

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:use landline

  Nathalie  Peregrine:ok!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:no mobile on site at home

  Nathalie  Peregrine:I wasn't sure if you wre home yet

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Sorry Nathalie  my Flt back was yesterday afternoon

  Nathalie  Peregrine::)

  Nathalie  Peregrine:we're setting up a dial out to your landline

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:feel free to check my calendar  my life is am open book to you ladies

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bog standard admin stuff that is "non-substantive"=> "execution"

  Michael R. Graham:In re: "0B" -- The Work Plan subgroup divided Tasks into the 5 deliverables set forth in the WG Charter.  We then determined that two preliminary tasks were called for: A. Coming up with Working Definitions of Terms the WG could use in our discussions to avoid confusion and spending inordinate time discussing what we meant by those terms in our discussions, and B. Identify general "Working Principles" that we understand underlay the existing understanding of the Policy & Implementation process within the GNSO.  Since these were "pre-deliverables" which we understood would change as the WG progressed in its work, we used "0" as the deliverable number.  Hence: 0A and 0B in the designation of Deliverables.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:absolutly Greg... this could end up a Road Block "tool"

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes  Alan the Community "Impact Test" principal is important here...and Yes  I capatalised the term

  Alan Greenberg:@Nic, certainly HOW we make that judgement is going to be challenging, but that is a later step.

  Nic Steinbach:@Alan - Sounds good. I think the principle should acknowledge that affected parties should have some remedey or process to allow them to alert the impementation teams that they are affected.

  Nic Steinbach:is it possible that the definitions team can shed some light on "implentation" ?

  Nic Steinbach:at least in this context....

  Nic Steinbach:i feel like we are talking about different things.

  Alan Greenberg:I am certainly hopeful of that.. And working hard towards that end. I was the one who suggested a focus on definitions BECAUE the words are used in such a large number of ways now.

  Mary Wong:@Nic, that sub-team has it as one of the words to be defined, yes.

  Nic Steinbach:great. it will be intresting to re-evaluate these principles in light of their definitions.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:not saying Implementation is not under a MSM it is; but that ALL componant parts of such Implementation needs to be  also RE-subject to a NEW  or Refreshed MSM process...

  Chuck Gomes:@ Greg - Agree on database

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup Greg  absolutly...

  Chuck Gomes:I like the term policy neutral

  Nic Steinbach:policy neutral - like that concept

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yup nice term  let's usse it as a Term

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thus add to Deffinitions...

  Avri Doria:I don't believe there's policy neutral action

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:really Avri???  the data base one???

  Chuck Gomes:@ avri - Choosing a database is not policy neutral?

  Avri Doria:Indeed. The tool used determine the services provided and constrains interface available.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:orbthe  server choicesnmor the nimber of  and  qualifications  of staff allocatef to a task??

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Nope  that takesm us into Micronmanagement of  Admin pricesses  of policy implementataion  to Community  on a،pll things  I disagree

  Michael R. Graham:@Alan -- Originally we had hoped the Definitions would be complete so the terms as defined could be used in these Policy discussions.  Certainly, discovering additional terms or uses that require definition  was anticipated, and I would not limit developing Definitions to aid in understanding and discussion to that sub-team.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:but that  comes back to theproposed principal of  Impact Test comes in Avri

  Alan Greenberg:My working definitions, which are probably NOT the ones to use in the long-term, are :POlicy: Whatever the GNSO approves in its PDP (or other methodology); Implementation design: the decisions which may impact community during the post-Policy work; Execution: the part of current implementation which is "policy neutral",.

  Nic Steinbach:policy, implentation, execution.

  Nic Steinbach:that is a product manager like flow :) like it.

  Greg Shatan:Consider this more of a spectrum.  Policy Neutral may be like Absolute Zero.  Maybe nothing is "perfectly" policy neutral.  But, I will put on a sweater before absolute zero.  Similarly, we need to treat things as essentially policy-neutral at some point.

  Alan Greenberg:@Nic, note that the last two phases may be iterative.

  Greg Shatan:@Avri.  If there are specifications in the final report as to what the  database has to do, I agree that choosing a database that fails to do it would not be policy neutral.  I think we are assuming that the hypothetical databases under consideration all meet the needs expressed by the policy.

  Greg Shatan:And with that, I must go.

  Nic Steinbach:@Alan - I think we are on the same page.

  Greg Shatan:As Potter Stewart, might have said "I can't define policy, but I know it when I see it...."

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:So true Greg...Art, Porn, and now Policy....

  Michael R. Graham:I'm working on how those three go together . . .

  Nic Steinbach:3

  Nic Steinbach:defintiely linked to 1

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yes Nic  3 is the one  I have open on my desk top as I said my last comment...

  Nic Steinbach:can the next sub meeting include some pickeled pork!

  Nic Steinbach:that sounds delicious

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:Nic I always photo jnl my events  so you can always browse the images

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I'll share a table pic  at our next call...

  Nic Steinbach:i am afraid to ask for a link. haven't had lunch and that sounds like torture.

  Nic Steinbach:looking forward to your pic next call!

  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:sorry guys.  i had the time off by an hour.  is the call still on?  i'm on hold on the conf call centre

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thanks Marika most helpful

  Marika Konings:@Tom - we are wrapping up

  EnCirca - Tom Barrett:ok

  Nic Steinbach:i have to hop off - can make a call next week, but am ok with waitng until afterwards...

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye

  Marika Konings:Next week we'll meet on Thursday at 21.00 UTC

  Marika Konings:call details will be circulated shortly