[ioepanel] suggestions

InterNetX - Daniel Oppermann daniel.oppermann at internetx.com
Mon Jan 13 21:53:12 UTC 2014

Hi all,

First I want to thank you guys for making todays webinar possible. It is certainly a good place to exchange ideas on the future of Internet governance. And I would like to make two suggestions:

1) Although it is important to get a free-flow input from participants and stakeholders I would suggest a little more structure during the webinars. Maybe by defining certain topics a week before the webinar so that people are aware what the discussion is going to focus on. Today we had 80 people in the webinar, 2-3 using the microphone option and 5-10 using the chat although a lot of stuff on the chat was not content-related. If we try to focus on topics we can get a better output I think.

2) Concerning globalization of ICANN: language is an important issue. There are many people out there that want to participate but do not speak English sufficiently or at all. When we look at several ICANN webinars we figure out that they are mostly dominated by English-speaking people, a lot of them (maybe the majority?) native-speakers. Others maybe understand English but are not able to express themselves in the same way they could in their own language. ICANN is on a good way to reach out to other regions of the world and now we need to include not only the names of countries and cities where ICANN has new offices but also the languages people speak on the Internet. We need webinars not only in English but also in Spanish, Chinese, Arab, French, Portuguese, Indonesian, Russian, Korean etc.

Best regards,
Daniel

------
Dr. Daniel Oppermann