[RDS-WHOIS2-ConsumerTrust] Call #1 - Decision Reached and Action Items

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Mon Mar 5 03:00:14 UTC 2018

Factoring in the specifics that Dmitry has
quoted, I guess I consider Consumer Trust in
relation to WHOIS from am somewhat different perspective.

I don't believe that we have spoken a lot about
just what it is that Consumers are supposed to be
TRUSTING. I think the answer is whether consumers
have a greater trust in the Internet and its varied resources because of WHOIS.

Given the relatively infrequent use of WHOIS as a
vehicle to instill trust that Dmitry cites, I
think we would have a hard time justifying
collecting and distributing WHOIS data on the basis of its instilling trust.

So any trust in the Internet or its resources is
a byproduct of the data's existence and availability for other reasons.

So if we are not collecting and distributing the
data to create Consumer Trust, is there really
any merit in trying to judge whether it is doing a good job?

When you consider that under various privacy
legislation, data will only become less
available, how much time should we and future review teams focus on the issue?

Alan