[RDS-WHOIS2-RT-Leadership_Staff] Status update

Susan Kawaguchi susankpolicy at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 23:55:01 UTC 2017

Hi Alice,

Thank you for your informative and thorough email.

*Work Plan *- We have a good start from our work in Brussels.  Since we
have the subgroups determined we should ask each RT member to pick one
subgroup in which they would like to act as rapporteur.  Probably should
ask for a first and second choice so that we have flexibility in
assignments.  This way it spreads out the workload and will provide
opportunity for more engagement from all team members.  Then whatever
subgroups were not selected I thought the leadership team could pick a
second subgroup each.   On the next plenary call we could start this
process and explain to the members that we have plenty of guidance and help
from the staff to set up doodle polls, schedule subgroup calls and provide
adobe connection access.

Since the team developed the planning document and subgroup team report
template I think these subgroups will be fairly easy to lead from a process
point of view and the results should be somewhat standardized.

We should get started working in our subgroups as soon as possible so I
would recommend that we propose this via email and then discuss and ask for
their choices during the next plenary call.  We should set the expectation
that each subgroup meet at least once in the next two weeks so that we get
started on our work.

Alan - I noticed your name is on all the subgroups my recollection is that
you wanted be on all the email lists but not necessarily be considered on
each subgroup.  Is this correct?

*Scope Table -  *Is there anything that the ICANN board was concerned with
the SSR2 RT Scope that we should consider in our scope?

*Terms of Reference* - Same question as above for the Terms of Reference

*Fact Sheet - *I find the fact sheet confusing and hard to read.   I object
to publishing this fact sheet until it actually provides information that
is easily interpreted.  Much more detail is needed.

The following are my concerns

The timeline reflects that we have been an RT for 4 months and used up  33%
of expected duration.  We may have been seated in June and had an
orientation meeting  but did not have our first substantive plenary call
until mid July.  If July was indicated as the date we  started then our
duration would be at 25%.  This seems much more accurate.

As of September 30th we have had 8 plenary calls.  We may want to indicate
leadership calls in the fact sheet because a lot of the work to ensure the
productivity of this team goes on in the leadership calls.

For the 8 plenary calls we have had 303 staff hours expended in supporting
the RT.  If you view the staff hours per plenary call 37.87 staff support
hours per call seems excessive.  I do not doubt the staff is working very
hard and has provided us with amazing support but pulling out statistics
that are not correlated properly  results in skewed stats.  I would suggest
we break down in general categories how many staff members are supporting
the team and how many hours per staff member.  Since the RT is responsible
for the success of the review we need to understand what support is truly
being utilized and how we might reduce the burden on staff.

Financial Resources -  I am assuming on the travel spend this was to send
the RT to the Johannesburg meeting?  Is this accurate?
Can you help me understand what committed resources are?  We spent $120,000
on travel so far for committed resources how many people traveled to the
meeting to support one orientation meeting with the RT?  Did they also do
any other work on behalf of ICANN while they were at the meeting?

What is the other $40,000 for in travel spend?  Is this review team travel?
   Assuming not all RT members needed travel support, for instance 3
council members are RT members so our travel funding should for the most
part be out of the council budget.  If we assume that 8 members traveled
from the RT budget at an expense of $5,000 per person you could extend this
logic to the $120,000 on travel for committed resources as spending travel
budget for 24 support staff.

I am not trying to lay blame here but I am trying to illustrate how
statistics without clear information can be skewed and interpreted in a
bizarre manner.

I recommend that we rethink the Fact sheet and provide clear,
understandable statistics that honors the hard work that all are putting
into this RT.

Best regards*, *

Susan