[Register-URI] Adding a NAPTR record to the uri.arpa domain

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Sat Jan 6 00:30:39 UTC 2024

On 1/5/24 2:09 PM, ENRICO FRANCESCONI via Register-uri wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
>     we are writing to take the following action before completing the
> registration for draft-spinosa-urn-lex-21
> (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-spinosa-urn-lex/
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-spinosa-urn-lex/>).
> According to RFC 3405, we kindly ask you to add a NAPTR record related
> to the "lex" namespace to the uri.arpa domain.

Ciao Enrico,

I'm not an expert on the process for adding NAPTR records to the
uri.arpa domain, but if I recall correctly (and based on a quick
re-reading of RFC 3405), this domain is reserved for URI schemes.
However, there is no `lex` URI scheme, so I don't immediately see how we
could add `lex` to uri.arpa.

On the other hand, your request to register a NAPTR record in the
urn.arpa domain seems perfectly legitimate, since we've already added
`lex` as a formal namespace ID in the URN namespaces registry. [1]

Peter

[1] https://www.iana.org/assignments/urn-namespaces/urn-namespaces.xhtml