[tz] Large scale changes proposed in 2014f

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Fri Aug 1 00:28:48 UTC 2014

Tim Parenti wrote:
> if we want to replace zone.tab with something better, we
> should take the time now to make sure its replacement doesn't
> unintentionally retain any major shortcomings of the previous version, so
> we don't find ourselves needing to supersede it again too soon.

I took the time to consider several possible replacements, and this one
was the best: it is simple, easy to understand, upward-compatible, and
addresses the problem.  Quite possibly we'll want to make further
changes in the future, but no such change plausibly springs to mind
right now, and one step at a time.