[tz] Version identification (was Re: Downstream use of 2021c)

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Thu Oct 7 20:26:27 UTC 2021

On 10/7/21 13:10, Russ Allbery via tz wrote:
> tzdata.zi is 112KB out of 7.2MB total size

And tzdata.zi is only 22,577 bytes when compressed with 'lzip -9'.

I was a bit taken aback just now, when I realized that all of tzdb can
be compressed into a size that would nearly fit into the RAM of the
first computer I ever programmed, a circa-1961 GE-225 mainframe that
weighed nearly a ton and had only 8192 20-bit words.

https://www.redhat.com/en/command-line-heroes/season-4/mainframes