[UA-discuss] Mixing between RTL and LTR scripts

Vittorio Bertola vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Wed May 9 09:12:22 UTC 2018

> Il 9 maggio 2018 alle 10.55 Raed AlFayez <rfayez at citc.gov.sa> ha scritto:
>
>     Dear Andre & All,
>
>     Please allow me to resend my comments on the blog article that was shared by Andre in his last email:

Thanks for this, it is very interesting and very useful to non-Arabic speakers.

I understand your point: the natural expectation of an Arabic speaker is that the email address will always be displayed LTR if it is in Latin characters, while it will always be displayed RTL if it is in Arabic characters, no matter whether the surrounding text is LTR or RTL.

But what would/should happen if the email address had a mix of Latin and Arabic characters?

Also, is in your opinion this expectation shared by all the peoples in the (very big) Arabic-speaking world, and even by those that speak other languages written with Arabic characters? I am wondering whether these rules depend on the country, on the script or on the language.

Thanks
Regards

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com mailto:vittorio.bertola at open-xchange.com
Office @ Via Treviso 12, 10144 Torino, Italy