[vip] ICANN News Alert -- IDN Variant Issues Project: Draft Integrated Issues Report

Dennis Jennings Dennis.Jennings at Knous.ie
Fri Jan 6 14:34:09 UTC 2012

Patrick,

I honestly don't know enough about the public comments handling process
to be able to respond intelligently.  It was not one (of the many)
things that I looked at when I was on the Board, although I did flag it
when I was on the Board's Public Participation Committee as something
that I thought should be looked at, because it did seem to me to be very
"Vogon" (1) style communication, and that it would benefit from an
effective reach-out process whenever anything was published for public
comment.

Perhaps we could have a chat off-line about this ?  I understood that
work was being done to review the whole public comment process, but I
have no idea where that has got to.

Dennis

(1) "There's been a sign on Alpha Centauri for the last millennium, why
did you not read it ?!"

On 06/01/2012 10:46, Patrik Fältström wrote:

> On 6 jan 2012, at 11:05, Dennis Jennings wrote:
>
>> I know that many people, including yourself, feel strongly about many
>> of the IDN Variant issues, and I very much appreciate your continuing
>> support for the VIP Project.
>
> Dennis, this conclusion is correct, but let me because of this also
> bring up another issue regarding a very big flaw in the way ICANN
> handle public comments.
>
> The comments are to be submitted to a webpage, without any requirement
> for feedback or *discussion* what so ever.
>
> This have during the years lead to people simply not submitting
> comments, but instead repeatedly asking ICANN how to send in comments,
> or claim that it was impossible to comment or participate.
>
> The lack of ability to *discuss* the various issues is something that
> ICANN must start to take very serious.
>
> Just look at the gTLD process, or more specifically two examples I
> would like to rise:
>
> 1. The JIG report that due to the lack of discussion was what I claim
> "blocked". Specifically regarding one-character TLD. After about a
> year or so delay, ICANN board did ask the ACs for comments, and yes,
> SSAC is working on a response. If the responses from the ACs are
> _very_different_ from the findings in the JIG report, what kind of
> conclusions can then be drawn under the review of the AOC regarding
> requirement of openness?
>
> 2. The discussions regarding confusability as part of the feedback
> loop during the IDN ccTLD fast track resulted in a board resolution
> that says more or less that it is ok to delegate confusingly similar
> TLDs if it is to the same registry. That is a board resolution that
> has been taken and as far as I know, none of the ACs where asked for
> input. There is an interesting discussion going on whether one or more
> of the ACs must point out that that decision by the board was most
> certainly premature, and that the advice (that still could have been
> ignored by the board of course) could have been to be more careful
> from the ACs.
>
> I certainly hope that none of these two examples will lead to any
> large problems, but I at the same time do not want to have this report
> end up being one that for example SSAC must at least discuss
> internally if we should do a detailed review of and come to our own
> conclusions that we submit to the board -- and in the mean time we ask
> the board to not draw any conclusions from it.
>
> I am just nervous how the participants of for example SSAC will react
> when we will discuss this report.
>
> If they are ok with the process, we can move on, if not, we look at a
> delay of a year or so.
>
>    Patrik

Dr. Dennis Jennings, Managing Director, Knous Limited

www.knous.ie <http://www.knous.ie/>

_Dennis.Jennings at knous.ie_ <mailto:Dennis.Jennings at ICANN.org>

Registered in Ireland No. 477218

Mobile: +353 87 220 8225

VAT No.IE 9726842D

Home Office: +353 1 269 5475** Please note new number

Directors:

Skype: DennisJennings

D.M. Jennings (Managing), D. Fitzmaurice