[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Discussion paper for 1 April 2015 meeting

Raymond HO arbitrator at raymondho.com
Wed May 6 01:50:38 UTC 2015

Thanks, Steven.

I respectfully invite you to consider the goals for the procedure as highlighted in resolution 20051128-05 below:

“20051128-05

  The GNSO votes in favour of the following consensus policy recommendation from the WHOIS task force CONSENSUS POLICY RECOMMENDATION

  In order to facilitate reconciliation of any conflicts between local/national mandatory privacy laws or regulations and applicable provisions of the ICANN contract regarding the collection, display and distribution of personal data via the gTLD WHOIS service, ICANN should:

    Develop and publicly document a procedure for dealing with the situation in which a registrar or registry can credibly demonstrate that it is legally prevented by local/national privacy laws or regulations from fully complying with applicable provisions of its ICANN contract regarding the collection, display and distribution of personal data via the gTLD WHOIS service.

  Create goals for the procedure which include:

    Ensuring that ICANN staff is informed of a conflict at the earliest appropriate juncture;

    Resolving the conflict, if possible, in a manner conducive to ICANN's Mission, applicable Core Values and the stability and uniformity of the Whois system;

    Providing a mechanism for the recognition, if appropriate, in circumstances where the conflict cannot be otherwise resolved, of an exception to contractual obligations to those registries/registrars to which the specific conflict applies with regard to collection, display and distribution of personally identifiable data via the gTLD WHOIS service; and

    Preserving sufficient flexibility for ICANN staff to respond to particular factual situations as they arise.

  As regards the applicable contractual provisions regarding the collection, display and distribution of personal data via the gTLD WHOIS service, I think it might be helpful to review the standard Registry Agreement https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/registries/registries-agreements-en, in particular, clause 2.18 and Specification 4 reproduced below:

  2.18            Personal Data.  Registry Operator shall (i) notify each ICANN-accredited registrar that is a party to the registry-registrar agreement for the TLD of the purposes for which data about any identified or identifiable natural person (“Personal Data”) submitted to Registry Operator by such registrar is collected and used under this Agreement or otherwise and the intended recipients (or categories of recipients) of such Personal Data, and (ii) require such registrar to obtain the consent of each registrant in the TLD for such collection and use of Personal Data.  Registry Operator shall take reasonable steps to protect Personal Data collected from such registrar from loss, misuse, unauthorized disclosure, alteration or destruction.  Registry Operator shall not use or authorize the use of Personal Data in a way that is incompatible with the notice provided to registrars.

  SPECIFICATION 4

  REGISTRATION DATA PUBLICATION SERVICES

  1.               Registration Data Directory Services.  Until ICANN requires a different protocol, Registry Operator will operate a WHOIS service available via port 43 in accordance with RFC 3912, and a web-based Directory Service at <whois.nic.TLD> providing free public query-based access to at least the following elements in the following format.  ICANN reserves the right to specify alternative formats and protocols, and upon such specification, the Registry Operator will implement such alternative specification as soon as reasonably practicable.

  Regards,

  Raymond