[IAG-WHOIS conflicts] Discussion paper for 1 April 2015 meeting

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Wed May 6 14:31:09 UTC 2015

The record cannot be successfully contradicted.  And we spent a lot of time
in EWG deliberations on this specific issue.

Here's the thing. ICANN knows that there are issues with the RAA and
national laws, specifically those related to RDDS vs. privacy in the EU
theatre of operations.  This is the basis for the waiver process.

Here's what makes me go 'um....'.  You would have thought that instead of
the one-by-one approach to granting waivers for a well-known and thoroughly
ventilated area at issue, an institutional response towards generally
conserving the efficacy of the RAA would have been devised long ago;
something in line towards establishing this 'balance'.

The PPSAI mechanisms to be established helps. But it is a cutout. We can
only hope that the EWG's recommendations for this area are embraced since
they offer some hope of relief.

-Carlton Samuels

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799