[WP1] First Draft: WP1 content for Comment report on communitypowers & AOC

Perez Galindo, Rafael RPEREZGA at minetur.es
Tue Apr 7 08:45:05 UTC 2015

Thank you Jordan for this useful draft and for your weekend work!

I have a couple of comments.

First, and sorry if I have missed out on something and this has already been discussed, I see that the minimum periodicity of the AT-RT and SSR-RT is extended from 3 to 5 years, and Competition to 4 years. Could you please provide me with the rationale for this proposal?

Second, as a matter of substance, I am missing some language regarding the decision making procedures that the RT should follow and how their deliberations are reflected in their final recommendation reports. I believe we should avoid situations in which a particular input from one single stakeholder has eventually made it into the final report, raising concerns that the final decision made by the RT is not actually something that the community has pushed for, but only a contribution from a single source, which of course is valuable and valid but should not by itself and without additional support be included in the final recommendation. How the RT comes to a decision of taking or not on board a particular input is hence of paramount importance to avoid capture and ensure that the recommendations truly reflect the community's views.

In this vein, we would suggest that the recommendations issued by the RT should indicate whether they were reached at by consensus, qualified majority or simple majority. For the sake of transparency, the review teams should describe how they have considered community inputs explaining why they embraced the ones that made their way to the final report and why they rejected the other ones. In addition, a table displaying the suggestions received and their authors ranked by their level of support among community members contributing to the comment periods should be publicly available.

I believe this or similar measures will boost transparency and contribute to the ultimate goal of the RT, which is no other than to enhance ICANN's performance and accountability.

Thank you for further thoughts and looking forward to continuing the discussion.

Best

Rafael
GAC_SPAIN