[WP1] Budget

Asha Hemrajani asha.hemrajani at icann.org
Sat Oct 10 11:39:11 UTC 2015

Hi Jordan

Just to be clear:
1. We are now talking about veto of the annual operating plan and annual
budget, which is extremely time sensitiveŠnot about the veto of the 5 year
strat or op plan.
2. With all due respect Jordan, ³all that would happen is that the previous
year¹s budget would roll over² will not work ­ what about new community
projects and expenses that did not exist in the previous year? What if the
number of staff was different (higher), would we say, let¹s not pay the
additional staff?  What if the meeting venues happen to be in more expensive
countries, how could we use the previous year¹s budget to pay the venue
operators?
3. Please note, this is very different from the case of the IANA budget.
Cherine¹s proposal states very clearly that fallback to the previous year¹s
IANA budget would be acceptable.
I want to quote Cherine to re-emphasize my previous points: "The best way to
empower the community is to enshrine in the Bylaws a community input process
and a consultation process into the  development of the Annual Operating
Plan and Budget, as well as the power to Veto any deviation from the
approved Operating Plan and Budget that are inconsistent with the Strategic
Plan and the Mission.  Remember that the community will have the power to
remove individual Directors or recall the entire Board. This is the ultimate
power compared to just freezing a number and creating chaos for everyone;
community included.²

Asha