[WP2] current state of IRP checklist plus sample bylaws language and the comment summary

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 20:28:50 UTC 2015

Isn't this something that we could leave for the
IRP itself to deal with in its
processes/procedures?  Why do we have to specify
a limitations period in advance?
David

At 12:42 PM 7/25/2015, Burr, Becky wrote:

>The more I think about this 30 day thing, the
>more concerned I get – we need to provide for
>tolling the period for the pre filing mediation/CEP
>
>J. Beckwith Burr
>
>Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel and Chief Privacy Officer
>
>1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20006
>
>Office: +
>1.202.533.2932  Mobile:  +1.202.352.6367  /
><mailto:becky.burr at neustar.biz>becky.burr at neustar.biz / www.neustar.biz
>
>From: Bruce Tonkin
><<mailto:Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au>
>Date: Saturday, July 25, 2015 at 3:31 AM
>To: "<mailto:WP2 at icann.org>WP2 at icann.org"
><<mailto:WP2 at icann.org>WP2 at icann.org>
>Subject: Re: [WP2] current state of IRP
>checklist plus sample bylaws language and the comment summary
>
>Hello Becky,
>
>The proposed bylaws language change with respect
>to the timing of an IRP proceeding:
>
>“A request for A request for independent review
>must be filed within thirty days of the posting
>of the minutes of the Board meeting (and the accompanying Board Briefing
>Materials, if available) thatthe requesting party becoming aware of the action
>that it contends demonstrates that ICANN violated its Bylaws or Articles of
>Incorporation. Consolidated requests may be appropriate when the causal
>connection between the circumstances of the requests and the harm is the same
>for each of the requesting parties.”
>
>How would you determine when a “requesting
>party” becomes aware of an action?     I expect
>it would be hard to determine when that event
>would happen – so this feels a little like that
>a party can file at any time after a decision –
>potentially years later.    This could have
>quite negative effect on a third party.   E.g if
>a new gTLD was allocated to an applicant, and
>then the requesting party complains years later.
>
>Shouldn’t there be some limit based on what is
>reasonable – e.g 30 days after the requesting
>party would reasonably become aware
 etc

>Alternatively – maybe leave the current language
>and increase the time period – e.g. from 30 to 60 or 90 days.
>

>Regards,
>Bruce Tonkin

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music
http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications