[Wp4] Fwd: Re: [] Variety of formulation for Human Rights bylaw that were made. - corrected

Nigel Roberts nigel at channelisles.net
Thu Aug 6 12:05:29 UTC 2015

Dear colleagues

While I very much appreciate the postive intent of the different texts
proposed for a by-law, (and indeed have commented upon/contributed to
several), I would like to suggest that the most appropriate way forward
in starting WP4 might not be to compare and contrast competing
worldviews with a view to synthesis, but instead to zoom out for a
second, and let us look at this a little more holistically (or as a
lawyer might put it, purposively rather than literally).

With that mind I gratefully adopt and recommend the earlier suggestion
(made by Avri, I think), that the United Nations' "Guiding Principles on
Business and Human Rights" on the issue of human rights and
transnational corporations are directly relevant to the purpose we are
trying to acheive; and accordingly, we perhaps start out by developing a
common understanding of what we want to achieve in the (very much
needed) By-Law that we expect to see come out of this.

Paul Twomey, Kavouss Arasteh and others clearly highlight the dangers of
too-wide drafting, leading to mission creep.

I agree with this.

And I also submit that the dangers of an over-narrow, or too-literal
approach would lead to the proposed by-law (whatever it says) being
ineffective and irrelevant.

Perhaps we should start by reviewing how ICANN (*WITHIN ITS MISSION*)
might have effects on fundamental rights of the people and organisations
it comes into contact with, and from there we can work out how to
integrate a commitment that becomes part of the organisational DNA such
that respect for fundamental rights is seen as a positive aspect of
ICANN's work, and not a burden to be reluctantly shouldered?