[Wp4] CCWG - WP4 Poll on referencing existing documents

Markus Kummer markus.kummer at icann.org
Wed Oct 7 09:24:35 UTC 2015

Nigel +1.

Legally speaking, Sam might be correct, but politically speaking this is irrelevant. The UDHR - luckily - is as good as cast in stone and trying to amend it would be a non starter.

During WSIS, human rights, alongside Internet governance, was one of the most controversial issues. After many hours of negotiations the UDHR was the only HR instrument that Member States agreed to include as a specific reference. It was  — and I suppose still is - the lowest common denominator that satisfies everyone.

Best regards
Markus