[Ws2-diversity] Draft 01 Diversity Report

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 06:34:28 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and the discussion. they are welcome and helpful to
clarify that paragraph, better to catch this before moving to next stage.
I sense that there was some confusion about the intent of that item and
there were some interpretations which may miss what it was about.

it is not about skills, experience vs diversity, it is about the diversity
of skills, for example having different profiles, including experiences
from different environments. Julie kindly proposed a wording intended to
make that less confusing:
"2.6 *Skills:* Diversity in skills contributes to the quality of ICANN
policy formulation, decision-making and outreach. It is important to
highlight and advocate the advantages of individuals bringing different and
diverse skills sets into ICANN's many activities. All activities and groups
within ICANN will benefit from having a diverse range of skills available.
Outcomes formulated from diverse skills and knowledge will have higher
probability of being accepted by a diverse community.  Achieving diversity
in skills should not be seen as a choice between skills and diversity which
excludes participation, but rather one which values many skills sets and
facilitates inclusion and broad participation. "

we will discuss this topic at the confcall today to clear out any issue
related to it and follow-up in the mailing list. I encourage everyone to
attend today call.

Best,

Rafik