[Ws2-diversity] Draft 01 Diversity Report

Lousewies Vanderlaan lousewies.vanderlaan at board.icann.org
Fri Feb 24 12:40:44 UTC 2017

I agree with adding sexual orientation to the grounds of non-discrimination, but am not familiar withe term “gender expression”. In human rights circles “gender identity” is the term used most frequently, and I had always assumed that was a matter of (personal) expression as well. I am fine with either, as long as people know what it means (I have taken some time to explain the difference between sexual orientation and gender identity to the board and it is a foreign concept to many people, regardless of regional background).

On a more general note the question is do we list all the possible grounds of discrimination (at the risk of missing some) or do we say “no discrimination on ANY grounds” and add an explanatory or illustrative note/footnote somewhere?  No discrimination is the absolute minimum and I am wondering if we can of further?
“All parts of the ICANN community will/aim to work in a welcoming, inclusive, non-discriminatory way, in order to achieve (maximum) diversity that reflects the diverse/inclusive nature of the multi-stakeholder model”  - or something like that?

Catch you on the call (which I will take from a car audio only),

Lousewies