[Ws2-hr] Concerns and summary documents

Hibah Hussain hibah at google.com
Tue Aug 23 18:50:55 UTC 2016

I agree with Farzaneh that setting the doc to comment/suggestion mode
is a great way to tackle some of these issues.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 2:48 PM, farzaneh badii
<farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tatiana,
>
> I think we can resolve the problem by 1) ask the owner of the gdoc to set
> the document in comment mode. This way, the edits will be automatically
> marked as suggestions, and the changes to the document can be tracked to the
> owner ( sometimes the changes are done by anonymous, but you can still see
> what changes have been made).
>
> At the moment the gdoc is in edit mode so you cannot track the changes. And
> some forget or don't know they should change the mode to suggestion mode.
>
> 2) we could also agree to instead of deleting the text, comment on it and
> recommend deleting it .
>
> We can perhaps discuss this during the call.
>
> Best
>
> Farzaneh
>

> On 17 August 2016 at 00:16, Dr. Tatiana Tropina <t.tropina at mpicc.de> wrote:
>>
>> Anne, thanks a lot for your email.
>>
>> I suggest to the group that those who work on the google documents will
>> kindly avoid deleting the whole pieces of the text suggested by others
>> without at least pointing why it has been deleted. I was really
>> surprised when I found that my short brainstorming starting points -
>> that I put as suggestions to the google doc - were rejected by someone
>> with no explanation and the document was left empty (as far as I am
>> aware it wasn't anyone from those listed as the team who is going to
>> lead the drafting process of the WS1 summary). I had to restore my
>> content and instead of "suggesting" mode to just edit the doc and write
>> a note. Sorry if the note looks a bit harsh, but I think it is better to
>> remind everyone about these (previously unwritten) rules :)
>>
>> We have not got such a problem before, I assume we just have to remind
>> all the newcomers to this DT of CCWG that in process of drafting we
>> don't delete the big pieces of text in google documents when they are
>> written by others without explaining why and/or proposing amendments. We
>> successfully used google docs in CCWG WP4 on human rights in the
>> workstream 1 as a tool for drafting the proposed text of the bylaw and
>> the explanatory note to the bylaw for the CCWG report. I hope we will
>> continue using this collaborative tool in the same open and inclusive
>> manner.
>>
>> Warm regards
>>
>> Tatiana
>>

>> On 16/08/16 23:55, Aikman-Scalese, Anne wrote:
>> > I think Tatiana's note points up another problem with using Google docs.
>> > She says someone unilaterally deleted her entries.
>> >
>> > Anne E. Aikman-Scalese
>> > Of Counsel
>> > 520.629.4428 office
>> > 520.879.4725 fax
>> > AAikman at lrrc.com
>> >
>> > Lewis Roca Rothgerber Christie LLP
>> > One South Church Avenue, Suite 700
>> > Tucson, Arizona 85701-1611
>> > lrrc.com

  •  Hibah Hussain
  •  Senior Analyst, International Public Policy
  •  25 Massachusetts Ave NW, 9th Floor, Washington, DC
  •  1.202.346.1423