[CCWG-Accountability] WS1 vs WS2 recap and proposals

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Tue Jan 6 17:13:48 UTC 2015

Hi Roelof, All,

I may be missing something but would kindly challenge your statement
that the Board would not submit to such a proposal (force implementation
of items they resist to). Please note that I provide the examples below
only as illustrations and not as candidate mechanisms for our group.

First of all, it is routine governance in many organisations, including
private corporations or not for profits (such as Afnic which I know
well), that Boards operate under the authority of general assemblies,
and therefore have to submit to decisions from another body. It is even
often considered good practice (for some, but not all, decisions at
least, such as bylaw changes or Board appointments).

Secondly, many corporate Boards willingly commit to governance codes of
conduct all over the world that limit their authorities. One of the
latest examples being the "say on pay" trend amongst listed companies
whereby Board submit resolutions regarding executive compensation for
approval to the general assemblies
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Say_on_pay). So in order to comply with
stakeholder expectations, it is an established practice that Boards do
limit their own "powers".

But once again, I may have misunderstood your point.

Best
Mathieu

Mathieu WEILL
AFNIC - directeur général