[CCWG-ACCT] Proposed Agenda CCWG ACCT Meeting - 12 July 2016 @ 20:00 UTC

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Fri Jul 15 20:18:55 UTC 2016

I presume that the inten of having a "default"
was that it was what we should use if there were not need for external counsel.

I am tired of endless discussions which do not
change anything. Regardless of which is "default"
or exactly what that means, we will have to make a case-by-case choice.

Alan

At 15/07/2016 02:44 PM, Rudolph Daniel wrote:

> [...]
>Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>
>On 15 Jul 2016 19:00, "farzaneh badii"
><<mailto:farzaneh.badii at gmail.com>farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:
>No. Using the independent legal advisers
>responsibly does not mean that we have to have a default approach.
>
>I wonder what the next steps would be on this
>issue. Perhaps co-chairs can help us on this ?
>Are we going to have a call and discuss this and come up with a solution?
>
>On 15 July 2016 at 19:46, Seun Ojedeji
><<mailto:seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>+1 on ensuring access to independent legal
>adviser whenever required by CCWG. This would
>imply referring to internal legal(staff) by
>default and then call for independent legal
>advice whenever the group sense there is need
>for clarification (or when the issues at hand is warranted).
>
>Regards
>Sent from my LG G4
>Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>
>On 15 Jul 2016 13:19, "James M. Bladel"
><<mailto:jbladel at godaddy.com>jbladel at godaddy.com> wrote:
>Agree with Keith.
>
>CCWG must preserve the use of independent legal
>advisors, but use this responsibly, and with an
>eye on controlling costs.  Ultimately, it is
>gTLD registrants picking up the bill, and we
>need to ensure that this work is mindful of their interests.
>
>Thanks—
>
>J.

><<mailto:accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org>accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org>
>on behalf of Keith Drazek <<mailto:kdrazek at verisign.com>kdrazek at verisign.com>
>Date: Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 16:53
>To: Phil Corwin
><<mailto:psc at vlaw-dc.com>psc at vlaw-dc.com>,
>Matthew Shears
><<mailto:mshears at cdt.org>mshears at cdt.org>, Greg
>Shatan
><<mailto:gregshatanipc at gmail.com>gregshatanipc at gmail.com>,
>Robin Gross <<mailto:robin at ipjustice.org>robin at ipjustice.org>
>Cc: Accountability Cross Community
><<mailto:accountability-cross-community at icann.org>accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
>Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Proposed Agenda CCWG
>ACCT Meeting - 12 July 2016 @ 20:00 UTC
>
>Agreed. Access to independent legal advice was never in question.
>

>That said, in the interest of controlling costs,
>I have no problem seeking input from ICANN’s
>internal lawyers on issues that are deemed
>non-contentious or where potential conflicts do not exist.
>

>I am obligated to report that the Registries
>Stakeholder Group is very, very concerned about
>the cost of legal fees from WS1 and wants to
>ensure the CCWG is efficient with its future
>spending. I know we’re developing cost-control
>mechanisms for WS2, and I’ve advised my SG
>accordingly, but this will continue to receive attention from the RySG.
>

>Holly’s question and the response about
>budgeting vis-à -vis ICANN’s outside counsel
>was instructive. Any and all outside counsel

the CCWG must have