[CCWG-ACCT] Answers to some common questions being encountered by the ICANN staff

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Fri Sep 30 17:43:39 UTC 2016

Greg is right, GMT has gone domestic and is used in most of the UK in
the winter. In the summer they uses British Summer Time (BST=UTC+1).
Coordinated Universal Time is a reference time and not a time zone. Why
is it called UTC and not its acronym CUT?
That was the work of our friends at the ITU. ITC is a compromise between
the English CUT and the French TUC.
Good ITU has tasks to keep it busy.

Sam

On 9/30/2016 9:09 AM, Greg Shatan wrote:
> 18:30 UTC.
>
> On Friday, September 30, 2016, Nigel Roberts <nigel at channelisles.net
> <mailto:nigel at channelisles.net>> wrote:
>
>     Depends what you mean by GMT (it's often misunderstood -- GMT and
>     UTC are the same thing).
>
>     So you are technically correct (although we don't use the term GMT
>     anymore except during the winter-time).
>
>     But GMT is NOT the same as "UK time" - that is "BST" right now.
>
>     So, if I understand this correctly, this will take place at 7:30
>     PM UK and Ireland time, and 8:30 PM in Central Europe.
>
>     On 30/09/16 12:51, Paul Rosenzweig wrote:
>
>         Hearing in the case is scheduled for 130 PM Central Time (I
>         think that is
>         GMT -5) today ….
>

>         Paul
>

>         Paul Rosenzweig
>
>          <mailto:paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com>
>         paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
>
>         O: +1 (202) 547-0660
>
>         M: +1 (202) 329-9650
>
>         VOIP: +1 (202) 738-1739
>
>          <http://www.redbranchconsulting.com/
>         <http://www.redbranchconsulting.com/>>
>         www.redbranchconsulting.com <http://www.redbranchconsulting.com>
>
>         My PGP Key:
>         <http://redbranchconsulting.com/who-we-are/public-pgp-key/
>         <http://redbranchconsulting.com/who-we-are/public-pgp-key/>>
>         http://redbranchconsulting.com/who-we-are/public-pgp-key/
>         <http://redbranchconsulting.com/who-we-are/public-pgp-key/>
>

>         From: accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
  邦有道,贫且贱焉,耻也。邦无道,富且贵焉,耻也
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852