[Accountability-dt] Accountability CCWG Membership

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Wed Nov 12 11:40:23 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks to David for his time spent reaching out and listening to
the BC community. I think this feedback raises an important point in the
Charter.

I understand this limitation to 5 members by SO or AC is a significant
concern for the gNSO due to its internal structure, split into
stakeholder groups and constituencies. I fully appreciate the
difficulties that might arise from having to select only 5
representatives and thus having some constituencies not represented as
members, only as participants.

Speaking personnaly (no co-chair hat here), and from the point of view
of another SO, the ccNSO, I believe we need to take into account some
potential drawbacks of the extension to 7 members per endorsing SO or AC.

First, as was raised for the ICG when the GAC requested to appoint up to
5 members, we are extending the size of the CCWG. Based on the
assumption that 5 SOs and ACs would endorse the Charter (gNSO, ccNSO,
ASO, ALAC & GAC), the number of members could reach 25 with 5 members,
35 with 7. 25 members is already a very large group. It may be an even
bigger challenge to work in a 35-members + participants working group.
Others on this list are more experienced than I am in Icann WGs but my
personal feeling is that it a concern to consider.

I am also concerned about volunteer fatigue among some communities. The
ICG and the CWG are already taking a very serious toll upon volunteer
time. I am concerned that the accountability CCWG might not find in all
constituencies enough volunteers to fill even 5 member seats. It is not
a critical issue beacause the work will be driven by consensus but that
may lead to some imbalance between the various SO and ACs if we extend
the number to 7.

Those are of course only initial thoughts, and only a matter of balance
between objectives of equal value : having a truly inclusive CCWG, and
providing the CCWG with a setup that maximises its chances of being
efficient and successful.

I would welcome feedback from the group about the best way to balance
these goals.

Best
Mathieu

Le 11/11/2014 18:45, Drazek, Keith a écrit :

> I would support increasing the number of representatives per SO-AC
> from 5 to 7 for the reasons David outlined below.
>
> If the GNSO feels it needs 7 seats to enable full participation and
> representation of its various constituencies, it seems logical the
> other SOs and ACs would also receive a commensurate increase in their
> slots.
>
> Regards,
> Keith

Mathieu WEILL
AFNIC - directeur général
Tél: 01 39 30 83 06
mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
ATTENTION : L'Afnic a déménagé le 31 mars 2014 !
Notre nouvelle adresse est :
Afnic - Immeuble Le Stephenson - 1, rue Stephenson - 78180 Montigny-le-Bretonneux