[Accred-Model] Philly Special 2.0

Michael Palage michael at palage.com
Thu May 31 06:02:38 UTC 2018

Steve

Thanks for the constructive comments. However, allow me to share with you
why I believe your concerns may potentially be misplaced from a historical
perspective.

So prior to the adoption of the UDRP and the passage of the ACPA, there was
concern within the IP community about the effectiveness of these new tools.
An interesting side note that may be of value to you and others, in late
1999/early 2000 Network Solutions contacted those trademark owners that had
availed themselves of the old Network Solutions trademark policy and
informed them that they either needed to file a legal action in a court of
competent jurisdiction or file a UDRP. Failure to take either action would
result in the domain name being unlocked.  I know of at least one high
profile case where the attorneys decided to undertake costly litigation,
versus just filing a 5K UDRP that they would have in retrospect easily have
won.  Many attorneys are uneasy with new mechanisms with no track record. I
get that.

That is why as part of my preliminary work in connection with the ADR
component of this model I have focused on existing ADR - GDPR centric
solutions:

*	JAMS has a Privacy Shield dispute resolution mechanism:
https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield
*	ICDR (the body that currently administers ICANN's Independent Review
Filings) has a Privacy Shield related services:
https://www.icdr.org/privacyshield
*	The Better Business Bureau (BBB) also has an independent dispute
resolution mechanism operated by the Council of Better Business Bureaus
(CBBB): https://www.bbb.org/EU-privacy-shield/for-eu-consumers/

I appreciate your concerns about potential gaming by cybersquatters. That is
why we will need to pay attention to the final policy/rules to prevent
potential gaming. However, I am currently optimistic of achieving this goal
based on the documents that I have reviewed.  Much like Kathy Kleiman and
Karl Auerbach fought for Registrant safeguards in the final UDRP rules and
policy back in 1999, I am sure that the IPC/BC will fight equally hard to
make sure that the final policy/rules minimize potential gaming scenarios to
the detriment of legitimate interest users.

On your point about keeping this process light weight, I fully agree. In the
above cited models they do not appear to rely upon a lawyer, but are
designed for a data subject to initiate the proceeding on their own.  In
fact I am sure that some third parties are like to offer professional
services either filing or defending these actions.

Thanks again for the constructive feedback.  Please follow-up with similar
constructive feedback in connection with the proposed template Access
Agreement.

Best regards,

Michael