[Comments-com-amendment-3-03jan20] Comments on Proposed Amendment 3

Christian Taylor hello at craylor.media
Thu Feb 13 23:15:35 UTC 2020

To whom it may concern,

I’m writing today to comment on the proposed Amendment 3 which would allow Verisign to increase prices of .com domains by 7% per year with little regulation.

I am a content creator with a YouTube channel dedicated to online branding and marketing, and as someone who helps many people launch their online presence and build their first website, allowing this type of price increase would be irresponsible and reckless.

I understand that your organization wants to “exit” the domain price regulation space, but this is not the proper way to do it. Accepting a $20 Million dollar donation from Verisign as a favor for doing this means you would be caving for money, a corrupt practice that I don’t want to see ICANN do.

Allowing this price increase with no ceiling means that 20 years from now, the barrier to get a .com domain will become greater and greater until it is no longer a reasonable option for those wanting to launch a business on a budget.

I am urging you to treat this situation carefully, declining to proceed with Amendment 3 and instead considering more neutral ways to exit being the domain pricing regulation middle man. To do this properly, you need to step away from regulating prices for ALL domain registries, not just .com - and you need to “hand the torch” to a government or other agency who will handle that side of things.

To remove the price ceiling on the most popular TLD in the world means that Verisign can and will engage in monopolistic practices, hurting small business owners and those wanting to build a personal brand.

On behalf of Craylor Media and those who support and watch my content, I’m asking you to stop Amendment 3. I also ask that you consider all comments equally and carefully. This is not a decision to be taken lightly, and I want to see ICANN do the best thing for everyone.

Thanks for your time,

Christian Taylor
Content Creator + Freelancer
hello at craylor.media