[council] On the use of 'fairness'

Michael D. Palage michael at palage.com
Fri Aug 26 03:57:05 UTC 2005

Avri:

I appreciate your well thought out statement on the term fairness.
However, I also found Grant's comments compelling during today's call.
So I have spent some time trying to reconcile this apparent difference
of opinion. In part I have this spare time because Hurricane Katrina has
knocked out my broadband connection, although I fortunately still have
electricity.

Your opening analysis of fairness being a "relative" notion is in fact I
believe directly related to another "relative" notion and that is of
trust. Even though the Luxemburg meeting was completed almost six weeks
ago, I still think about how the term lack of trust was repeated so many
times by so many people. I "think" what some council members fear is
that based upon the lack of trust that may still linger in some people's
mind, they are concerned that any relative notion of fairness may be one
sided. I really believe that is the 8000 pound (3600 kilo) elephant in
the room that no one wants to talk about.

Now because there remains a lack of trust, the question now turns to how
does one engage in an evaluation process where fairness is such a key
component. I do not have a simple answer to this question. However, we
(ICANN Board, staff, and GNSO Council and its constituencies) have an
obligation to make it work for the benefit of the organization as a
whole. One of the reasons I am taking such an active interest in this
process, is because the GNSO is where I came from and where I will
return when my service on the Board has been completed. This is my
"home" and I have an direct past, present, and future interest to make
sure that this evaluation is done is an fair, open and transparent
fashion.

The reason I have hope for this process, is that ICANN and the community
have been through some tough times in the past, i.e. formation 1999,
VeriSign contract renegotiation of 2001, WLS, etc. Despite some of the
tension that these events may have generated, the people/stakeholders
which are ICANN's greatest asset came together, survived and pushed
forward.

Based on the call today, I believe it is critical that this evaluation
process have clear criteria and methodology for each requirement that we
are trying to evaluate.  More importantly these criteria and methodology
must be in place to prevent the criticism that many of the applicants
and community had with regard to Telcordia report. Specifically, that
the some of the criteria/methodology used were not clearly announced
beforehand.

As always I welcome the comments/feedback from the council.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage

P.S. Broadband connection restored for now :-)