[council] Case for asynchronous (and nonlive) vote

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun Nov 19 23:57:33 UTC 2006

Hello Mawaki,

> I know we have discussed this before but we didn't seem to
> come to a consensus about this, if I'm not mistaken. While
> the council has decided not to allow proxy anymore for voting
> (I must say I've forgotten how that decision was made),

The requirement derives from this bylaws rule:

"Members of the GNSO Council may participate in a meeting of the GNSO
Council through use of (i) conference telephone or similar
communications equipment, provided that all members participating in
such a meeting can speak to and hear one another or (ii) electronic
video screen communication or other communication equipment; provided
that (a) all members participating in such a meeting can speak to and
hear one another, (b) all members are provided the means of fully
participating in all matters before the GNSO Council, and (c) ICANN
adopts and implements means of verifying that (x) a person participating
in such a meeting is a member of the GNSO Council or other person
entitled to participate in the meeting and (y) all actions of, or votes
by, the GNSO Council are taken or cast only by the members of the GNSO
Council and not persons who are not members. "

The important point being that all members can "speak to and hear one
another".  The basis for this I believe is that Council members make a
decision after hearing all the arguments for and against a particular
motion.

> wouldn't it be possible and even desirable to allow the staff
> to record councilors' vote in cases where attending the call,
> they might have been prevented for technical reasons to be
> present on the call at the moment of the vote?

Probably depends on just how much of a discussion was missed, but in the
past what we have done is recorded the way a Council member would vote
in the minutes

E.g

"Motion passed x votes to y votes"

Council member "z" wasn't present for the vote, but attended the meeting
for most of the discussion.    "z" wishes to note the he/she is in
favour/against the motion.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin