[council] AGP Limits Policy - Status Report Inquiry

Gomes, Chuck cgomes at verisign.com
Fri Apr 2 22:10:27 UTC 2010

Mike,

I contacted Barbara Steele in our customer affairs office and she shared
the following.

Given that there is a 10% deletion allowance, it is their opinion that
this should be adequate to address any issues that a registrar is having
with traditional fraud, i.e., stolen credit cards, etc.  If they have
deletes of more than 10% "due to fraud", then the registrars
experiencing this have bigger issues that they are not addressing.  What
we have found is that registrars would claim fraud when submitting a
request for an exemption and when we denied the request indicating that
we don't view fraud as an extraordinary circumstance, the registrar's
AGP deletion percentage would drop down below the 10% threshold or they
moved on to claims of phishing.  We do want registrars to "do the right
thing" and take down domains that are being used for nefarious activity
but if they are exceeding the AGP threshold, then we expect them to be
able to substantiate their claim and not just use one of the industry's
hot buzz words and expect that we will grant the exemption.

If fraud (and unsubstantiated phishing) were deemed to be valid examples
of extraordinary circumstances, then I think that ICANN would find that
their 'successful' policy is not so 'successful' after all.  Even with
the low number of exemption requests that we receive each month, we
spend a huge amount of time trying to substantiate the claims and then
getting the internal approvals of our recommendations.  I have concerns
that if "fraud" and "phishing" become the "get out of jail" free card
for submitting exemption requests, then we will see more registrars
exceeding the 10% threshold and then submitting an exemption request for
the domain names over the threshold.  I don't think that VeriSign (or
any other registry) would want to hire the number of people that it
would take to process the increase in claims and I don't think that
ICANN would be very happy with the number of AGP deletes increasing.

Chuck