[council] Gala tickets and volunteers...

Mary Wong MWong at piercelaw.edu
Wed Jun 23 07:26:06 UTC 2010

I think we all understand that the financial, venue and other logistical
issues for local hosts and organizers are difficult, particularly as the
total number of participants is constantly changing and, particularly in
the case of popular/accessible cities, growing. (BTW I didn't mean to
disparage or under-estimate the effort - and great job - that previous
organizers (including some colleagues here on the Council) had put in.)

I don't think the best solution is to cancel the event; and I believe
most local hosts/organizers do their best to be as inclusive as
possible. At the very least, however, for meetings where it is
reasonable to expect that there will be a large number of attendees, the
meeting website should be clear that space is limited.

In terms of distributing those tickets, there has to be a better way of
ensuring that those who put in the work can get to go, e.g. non-Board,
non-Council, non-Chair community members on WGs, DTs and the like. Why
not give a certain number of tickets to each SG, to distribute directly
to their members on constituency day? If for some reason a SG doesn't
use up all its tickets, it can put those unused tickets back in a pool
for general distribution.

More generally, perhaps ICANN and future hosts/organizers/sponsors
should be looking at more and smaller networking events rather than just
one single fancy event that is sure to generate disappointment after all
the hype.

Cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law & Chair, Graduate IP Programs
Franklin Pierce Law Center
Two White Street
Concord, NH 03301
USA
Email: mwong at piercelaw.edu
Phone: 1-603-513-5143
Webpage: http://www.piercelaw.edu/marywong/index.php
Selected writings available on the Social Science Research Network
(SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584