[council] new gTLD Program Committee resolution regarding Specification 13 of the new gTLD registry agreement

Jonathan Robinson jrobinson at afilias.info
Fri Apr 4 15:23:36 UTC 2014

All,

I have continued to give this some thought and follow-up.  You will see that an initial discussion is now scheduled for our council meeting next week.

This is part of a timetable we need to be aware of which seems to me to be as follows:

1.       28 March 2014 - Publication date of minutes of NGPC

a.       Refers the issue to the GNSO Council and

b.      Sets clock to start regarding 45 days

2.       10 April 2014 - GNSO Council Meeting

a.       Become as well-briefed as possible and

b.      Ask initial questions / have the discussion to clarify the position

3.       10 April to 8 May 2014 - Inter-meeting period

a.       Provides for any supplementary information gathering and

b.      Discussion / further discussion in groups / constituencies and

c.       Discussion on council list and (to work within the 45 days)

d.      Drafting of a response

4.       28 April 2014 - Motion deadline for next GNSO meeting

5.       8 May 2014 - GNSO Meeting

a.       Opportunity to conclude a position in time to meet 45 day deadline or

b.      Agree to request an extension

6.       12 May 2014 - 45 day deadline

Recognising that by our 10 April meeting, you may not yet have had time to become fully informed or consult within your groups, I suggest we focus that discussion on establishing the background and facts.

The objective being to ensure that we are collectively and individually as fully and uniformly informed as possible as we move forward to consult within our respective groups.  Following that, we can then go on to decide on the appropriate response to the NGPC

I have spoken today to Martin Sutton, Chair of the Brand Registry Group and Martin is willing to brief us at the meeting on 10th of April or, at least, to be available to answer any questions regarding Specification 13.

In addition, is there any other information that could be helpful in ensuring that Councillors are as well-informed as possible to move forward with this issue?

I am mindful of Thomas’s point below where it is desirable for us to act effectively and in a timely fashion.

Jonathan