[council] International Registration Data (IRD) - Expert WG Report and Proposed Council Actions

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Sun Jun 19 16:19:27 UTC 2016

Council Colleagues -

Last month we received a letter (attached) from the ICANN Board, requesting that the GNSO Council analyze the Final Report from the 2012 WHOIS Expert Working Group for policy implications (IRD Final Report<https://whois.icann.org/sites/default/files/files/ird-expert-wg-final-23sep15-en.pdf>), and forward this report and our concerns to the appropriate PDP working groups, including the Next Generation RDS PDP working group at a minimum.

To move this task forward, here are the steps I propose:

  1.  That the Council, forward the IRD Final Report to the RDS PDP chairs, with the request that this PDP WG consider these recommendations within the context of that policy development work.  And that they report to us (via their Council Liaison) any elements of the IRD Recommendations that they believe to be incompatible with their Charter, or beyond the scope of a GNSO PDP,  and
  2.  That the Council also forward the IRD Final Report to the former chairs of the recently-completed Translation & Transliteration Working Group, with the request that they (along with support from Policy Staff) analyze the IRD Recommendations against the adopted Recommendations of their PDP (see Staff-prepared table, attached).  And that they report back to the Council with their assessment of whether or not these recommendations were adequately covered by the PDP, or if there are any omissions or incompatibilities, and
  3.  That we reply to the letter from Steve & the Board, acknowledge receipt of this request, and inform them of actions taken.

I'd welcome any additional thoughts on this topic, or the proposed path forward.  This is an extraordinarily complex topic, with numerous dependencies and moving parts, so please don't hesitate to raise any questions or concerns.

Thank you,

J.
James Bladel