[council] Action Items: GNSO Council meeting on 19 January 2017

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Mon Jan 30 22:26:14 UTC 2017

Dear Councilors,
Please find the action items, below and as attachment, arising from the GNSO Council meeting on 19 January 2017. Please take note of the action items coming out of the Council meeting before the break and the proposed timing for delivering on these actions.  The next GNSO Council meeting is on the 16 February 2017.

19 January 2017

Item 2. Review of Projects & Action List

Action Items:
Response to GAC Communique

  *   As a Council response is likely to be more helpful if one is finalized and communicated sooner rather than later, Council to consider whether it will be possible (and desirable) to aim to have future responses completed before the Board and GAC have their post-ICANN Meeting call to discuss the Communique.

Item 4. COUNCIL VOTE – Endorsement of GNSO Representatives to the Second Security, Stability & Resiliency Review Team (SSR-2 RT)
Voting Results:

  *   Motion passed unanimously
  *   3 primary candidates endorsed (James Gannon, Denise Michel, Emily Taylor)
  *   4 additional candidates endorsed, to be considered by the SO/AC leaders if additional slots become available on the SSR-2 RT (Howard Eland, Scott McCormick, Rao Naveed bin Rais, Norm Ritchie)

Action Items:

  *   Policy staff to notify candidates selected (including alternates) and send names to ICANN’s Multi-Stakeholder Strategy & Strategic Initiatives (MSSI) Department staff supporting the SSR-2 RT (IN PROCESS)
  *   Council to review process for selection of RT representatives, particularly the ability of candidates to be endorsed by more than one SO/AC, and not just those applicants that sought a particular SO/AC’s endorsement (IN PROCESS)
  *   Council leadership, Susan Kawaguchi and Ed Morris to continue work on finalizing proposal regarding selection process for RT and other GNSO appointments for Council consideration

Item 5. COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Proposal for a Facilitated Discussion between the GAC and the GNSO to Resolve Outstanding Differences in GAC Advice and GNSO Policy Recommendations concerning Second Level Protections for International Governmental Organization (IGO) Acronyms and Certain Names and Acronyms of the Red Cross Movement

Action Items:

  *   Staff to confirm availability of Thomas Rickert (Chair, original IGO-INGO PDP), and Philiip Corwin and Petter Rindforth (Co-Chairs, IGO-INGO Curative Rights PDP), to serve as GNSO representatives (along with GNSO Council leadership and the GNSO Liaison to the GAC) for the facilitated discussion (IN PROCESS)
  *   Subject to their confirmation, Thomas, Phil, Petter and Carlos to be added by staff to the new Board-GAC-GNSO Representatives’ Discussion Group (IN PROCESS)
  *   Staff to send links to the new Discussion Group to Council mailing list (DONE)
  *   Staff to notify the GAC and Board members of the Discussion Group, and Bruce Tonkin (facilitator) of GNSO appointments (IN PROCESS)
  *   Staff to invite Bruce Tonkin to the next GNSO Council meeting

Item 6. COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Letter from Thick WHOIS Implementation Review Team on Privacy Issues relating to Implementation of the Thick WHOIS Consensus Policy Recommendations

Action Items:

  *   Staff to post legal review document referred to in the letter to the Council mailing list (DONE)
  *   Following receipt of the legal review document, Erika Mann and Michele Neylon to work with staff to develop possible responses to the IRT letter for the Council’s consideration, based on further legal developments relating to the topics noted in the letter
  *   Council to continue discussion on the mailing list, to see if there is a need to respond to the IRT
  *   Staff to share IRT letter with RDS WG leadership as the subject concerns all registries and registrars using a thick model and is not limited to the specific issue of transition from thin to thick WHOIS (DONE)

Item 7: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Community Budget Requests for Financial Year 2018
Action Items:
·         Council leadership to work with staff to develop possible draft proposals for Council consideration (DONE)

Item 8: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Planning for ICANN58
Action Items:
·         Council to continue discussion on mailing list
·         Council leadership to suggest adding session on data privacy to Day 3 schedule (DONE)

Please let me know if I missed anything or if you have questions.

Thank you.

Kind regards,



Nathalie Peregrine
Specialist, SOAC Support (GNSO)
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Email: nathalie.peregrine at icann.org <nathalie.peregrine at icann.org%20>
Skype: nathalie.peregrine.icann

Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses<learn.icann.org/courses/gnso> and visiting the GNSO Newcomer pages[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_sites_gnso.icann.org_files_gnso_presentations_policy-2Defforts.htm-23newcomers&d=DgMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=YXXgWMx7AnEsK0bIjCRJ20RWD6FrJ7eshz4ee3BoCuw&s=z012pgyZrR1-Hdltx67AUtBaeooNRaHBDVfbgPe9pt8&e=>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20170130/52dfe683/attachment.html>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Action Items from GNSO Council Meeting 19 January 2017 - updated.docx
Type: application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document
Size: 22662 bytes
Desc: Action Items from GNSO Council Meeting 19 January 2017 - updated.docx
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20170130/52dfe683/ActionItemsfromGNSOCouncilMeeting19January2017-updated.docx>

More information about the council mailing list