[council] EPDP Weekly update

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Sat Aug 25 18:33:01 UTC 2018

Thanks, Rafik.

I think we might need two documents, one for the Council, and one for external communication purposes. This document is fine for the latter, but I do not think it is fit for purpose for the Council as manager of this EPDP.

For the Council’s purposes we need a frank assessment of how the EPDP is going. Is it making measurable progress against the Charter that we gave it? Is it wasting time re-litigating battles that were previously fought? Is the Charter proving unsuitable, being undermined by certain stakeholders? These are theoretical questions and there is no implied criticism here of anyone, but I do think for this update to be useful every week we need something a bit more substantive.

As a member of the EPDP, I do not feel like this update is a true and accurate reflection of what the EPDP actually discussed. It might read like how we wish the meetings went, but in reality, a majority of the EPDP’s time was spent on matters not summarised in any of these bullet points.

Ayden