[council] Fwd: RDS message for circulation

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Mon May 14 22:16:15 UTC 2018

Dear Council colleagues, SG/C Chairs,

On behalf of Council leadership, I would like to invite you to an
informational webinar to discuss possible next steps in preparation for a
possible adoption of a temporary policy / specification by the ICANN Board
in relation to the interim model for GDPR Compliance. This webinar will be
scheduled on Monday 21 May at 21.00 UTC.

The adoption of a temporary policy by the ICANN Board contemplates a Policy
Development Process (PDP) which would need to be completed within the
one-year timeline following adoption of the temporary policy. To ensure
readiness of the GNSO Council in its role as manager of the PDP, Council
leadership has documented possible next steps and related questions for
your consideration (see attached document). These questions are purely
focused on the process aspect of a possible expedited policy development
process, as the substance will be dealt with at a subsequent stage. We are
aware that there may be disagreement with regards to the approach ICANN Org
and/or the ICANN Board are taking, but this is not the subject of our
conversation, or the Council’s responsibility at this stage. What the
Council will be responsible for is creating the optimal circumstances to
allow this (E)PDP to succeed. As you can see from the draft timeline, time
is of the essence. As such, it is of key importance that we work
collaboratively and diligently, taking responsibility for and ownership of
this important task. We hope we can all count on your support and
commitment.

Rafik, Donna and I hope that as a result of this meeting Council members
will be prepared to confirm a direction and next steps at our May GNSO
Council meeting, which is scheduled for later that week.

Call details will be circulated by the GNSO Secretariat shortly.

Best wishes,

Heather Forrest

GNSO Chair