[council] 2017-2018 GNSO Chair Report to Council - Thank You!!

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Wed Nov 7 16:33:15 UTC 2018

Dear Heather,

On behalf of the GNSO and the GNSO Council, I would like to formally acknowledge your excellent 2017/2018 Annual Report of the Chair and thank you for your very thoughtful and constructive observations and recommendations. As the incoming Chair, I welcome each and every point you highlighted in the report, and you have my assurance the new leadership team will take them on board and benefit greatly from your advice.

I would also like to take this opportunity to acknowledge the significant contributions of Donna Austin and Rafik Dammak to the 2017/2018 leadership team. I agree fully with your assessment and recommendation that the next GNSO Council Chair should rely on a team approach and I'm confident that Rafik, Pam and I will work very effectively and collaboratively together in this regard. You, Donna and Rafik have set a high bar, and I'm glad that Rafik will be able to provide important continuity for the 2018/2019 leadership team.

I also support your observation concerning the "tyranny of distance," and not only for Chairs. I recognize the challenge and believe that, as a Council and within PDP Working Groups, we must ensure equal opportunity and distribution of pain in managing time-zone scheduling challenges. As you noted in your report, this is important not only for existing participants, but also to ensure an equitable opportunity for potential future contributors.

Further, as the incoming Council Chair, I am fully committed to continuing your excellent leadership on the PDP 3.0 effort. This will be a significant focus of the Council's 2018/2019 Strategic Planning Session in January and throughout the year. The GNSO and ICANN will be well-served by your vision and the work we accomplished in 2018, and I assure you it will continue with the energy and spirit you instilled from the outset.

Finally, on behalf of the entire Council, past and present, I would like to extend our gratitude for your service, respect for your incredible commitment to excellence, and well-wishes in your future endeavors.

Don't be a stranger...you are already missed!

Best regards,

Keith