[CPWG] URGENT - WT5 proposal for 3-letter country codes

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 08:26:55 UTC 2018

Maureen,

With reference to Carlos

Raul Gutierrez's proposal of:

"*ICANN may only consider applications of ISO 3166-1 Alpha 3 Letter Codes
submitted by relevant governmental authorities, ccTLD managers and public
interest/public benefit entities.*”

While I believe the existing policy of permanent
reservation/non-availability of ISO 3166-1 Alpha 3 letter codes is
undesirable, hence I would also support the call for making such exact
matches available to and only to the entities suggested by Carlos, I am
mindful that we should perhaps, if we can, supplement such a call with a
proposition to deal with exact 3 letter matches that have already been
delegated -- ".com" comes to mind.  Also, in view of potential future
changes to the ISO 3166-1 list.

In other words, if we make ISO 3166-1 Alpha 3 letter codes available, how
should we deal with the Union of the Comoros' then right to and/or
potential desire for (the already delegated) ".com" gTLD?

Thanks,

Justine Chew
-----