[CPWG] [GTLD-WG] [registration-issues-wg] Verisign DissingDomainers?

Kan Kaili kankaili at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 14:07:05 UTC 2018

Hi, Evan,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding the infinity of domains, I do not believe it contradicts the land analogy.  During the Great Discovery and the Wild West eras, land was infinite to mankind as well.  Thus, the rule was "finders, keepers".  This could well apply to the DNS as well.

However, land owners always have to pay property taxes, no matter you have buildings on it or not.  To say the least, this is to enable the governments to keep records of ownership, as well as other functions to keeps the city in order (environment, schools, public security, etc.).  Thus, if you do not pay property tax, you lose the land, which is exactly the same as domain names.  Thus, ICANN and the DNS industry are not owners of domain names, they are merely city managers.  New TLDs are exactly as the wild west, whoever takes it owns it.  We all know the western land was free-to-all initially.  However, the city's land assessor would reassess the value of each piece of land periodically and charge property tax according to the current land value.  The easiest way to get the "true" value of each piece of land is the price paid when it changes hand.

The same could be done to domain names.  The initial price could be set very low (or even free), while ICANN and the registry, registrars take very little fees for magagement.  However, whenever it changes hands or be reassessed, the fee should go up according to its market value.  This way will not only create a most efficient domain name distribution system, but will also ensure continuous revenue stream into the DNS industry, including ICANN itself.

Looking forward to further discussions.

Kaili