[CPWG] RFC8890: The Internet is for End Users

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 31 10:30:52 UTC 2020

Hi Evan
I am not sure that a SW daemon could be seen as end user by the RFC8890 definition. Para.2 states:

In this document, "end users" means human users whose activities IETF standards support, sometimes indirectly.

To me, that excludes “non-human” entities.

Anyway, what I find very important is not just the consideration about end users, but the statement in para.3 that:

[…]the IETF is not neutral about the purpose of its work in developing the Internet;

To me that means an assumption of responsibility about the consequences - including political and social - of the development of the internet, and the need to factor these considerations in the IETF work.
After all, we all are constantly wondering “why are we doing all this?” and the answer that we give to this question is crucial for the future of the Internet.

Cheers,
Roberto