[CPWG] A white knight on the horizon for .ORG?

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Fri Jan 10 09:15:11 UTC 2020

Il 2020-01-09 22:58 Greg Shatan ha scritto:

> The "White Knight" looks more like a "Dark Prince":
>
> https://www.internetgovernance.org/2020/01/08/new-org-stewards-or-vultures-circling/
>
> Among many other things, the fact that Bill Woodcock is in this group might explain the bizarre "analysis" that PCH circulated a few weeks ago...

As I said, I have not spoken to anyone in the "alternative" group so I
do not know their motivations. But then, if you are afraid that this
discussion is only attracting "more vultures", why doesn't the At Large
focus on ensuring that the future of .org is not decided through
lobbying wars among insiders, but through a transparent process?

In case the discussion on who manages .org gets reopened (not a likely
case, IMHO, but the only one that would allow to make things
substantially better, as frankly I think that, in the Ethos arrangement,
some kind of board with people from the At Large and other community
groups would just be a fig leaf), ICANN should just put it out for
bidding with a few conditions:
- only non-profit applicants

- some form of registrant representation at the policy board level
- no price increases unless justified by running cost increases or
necessary investment
- a fixed additional percentage on top of the costs should be collected
and used for the IETF and other community projects
That would IMHO be a proposal that could present a substantially
different way of running .org in the public interest.

Otherwise, I agree that there is a risk to just watch a beauty contest
among commercial groups thinly masqueraded as benefactors.

Ciao, --
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->        now blogging & more at http://bertola.eu/   <--------