[CPWG] PIR sale…

David Mackey mackey361 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 10 11:45:34 UTC 2020

Greg,

I think it's a good idea to revisit your statement ...
"More specifically, ownership of .ORG by a non-profit has a nice symmetry
to it.  It's easy to like, people are used to it, and it may even stop bad
things from happening.  But ... there is no reason to presume that
ownership by a non-profit is truly in the best interests of .ORG, its users
or the general public.  If there's a reason to say that ownership by Ethos
Capital will serve those interests well, it will need to come from facts
and action (much of it from Ethos, PIR and even ISOC); we can't presume
that either."

I believe it's a mistake to dismiss the organized grassroots resistance to
the Ethos/iSOC transaction with the comment "It's easy to like, people are
used to it, and it may even stop bad things from happening".

There's a principle that's emerging from highly respected community members
including well respected people like Esther Dyson and Katherine Maher. The
principle is "End users benefit from a long-term commitment to the open and
noncommercial internet".

There's also historical precedence that this principle was achieved in
practice when ICANN gave the stewardship of PIR to iSOC in 2003.

End users have enjoyed a long history of benefitting from an open and
noncommercial internet ... linux.org, Free Software Foundation (www.fsf.org),
wikipedia.org ... and on ... and on. This is a fundamental aspect of the
Internet that benefits end users. It's important that this benefit to end
users is acknowledged ... and protected. It's not simply a warm fuzzy
feeling. Benefits to end users of an open and noncommercial internet are
real and often threatened by commercial interests.

The propose $1 Billion transaction between Ethos and iSOC breaks the
principle of ICANN's longterm commitment to a open and
noncommercial interest entrusted to iSOC in 2003. It's more than just
"nice symmetry"
as you state.

I think At-Large's reputation would benefit if we acknowledge the well
established benefits that end users receive from "a long term commitment
to the open and noncommercial internet" in any statement that comes out of
this discussion.

Cheers!
David